Sugar is hiring two sex educators!
We are looking for two sex educators to work the floor, provide our customers with information about sex, relationships, anatomy and our products. Our sex educators also do everything you'd expect in retail: assist with putting away product, cleaning, organizing, etc.
We are looking for two people to work two shifts a week.
The available shifts are:
Thursday, Friday, Saturdays from 1 - close,
Sunday from 11 - close
We currently close at 6pm - there are closing duties after we lock the doors. We may extend these hours depending on how the pandemic goes).
All applicants must be available to work weekend hours.
We look for all of our staff to support each other in covering shifts as needed when someone has scheduled time off. We also require attendance (paid of course) at a monthly staff meeting conducted via Zoom and at some in person workshops when those resume.
We provide our new sex educators with training.
Staff that regularly works over 30 hours a week has access to health insurance. All staff has paid sick time.
Hourly pay is $16 an hour. When we meet our quarterly sales goals, each staff member receives an additional amount per hour worked. The additional amount per hour is the same for every staff member. That amount varies depending on how well the business is doing.
Staff receives a 40% discount on all products. They are able to use that discount for products for themselves and also for one additional person.
HOW TO APPLY
If you'd like to apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. In the cover letter, please include:
- why you want to work at Sugar
- how your experience is relevant to working as a sex educator in a retail setting
Applications must be received by Saturday, August 7th at 5pm. Please do not call the store.
This is an in person position.
What does COVID mean for our folks who work on the floor?
All staff is expected to stay home, with pay, if they have any symptoms that might be COVID (and lets be real, COVID symptoms include: coughing, fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, headaches, fever, chills, runny nose - lets face it - just about any illness has one of these symptoms).
In the store, our staff and customers are required to wear masks covering their face and mouth at all times. Masks are provided for anyone who needs one. We have KN-95s and face shields available for staff who would like to use them.
We have turned our office into a break room. When staff is on a break they are in that room alone, with the doors closed so that they may safely remove their mask to eat and drink. The doors to the office remain closed at all times to limit exposure to air that may have infectious respiratory particles.
Our HVAC system has the highest possible MERV filter that the system will accommodate. We also have a medical grade air purifier running at all times.
Staff who are not fully vaccinated and travel out of state for non-Sugar related reasons are required to quarantine for 14 days upon return or supply documentation of a negative test taken at least five days after return before coming back to work. This time off is not paid.
We consistently review our policies as more data becomes available on how SARS-COV-2 works.
Below is the official job description!
The Sex Educator is responsible for:
- answering customers’ questions,
- using active listening skills to determine the customer’s concerns and needs,
- providing customers with the information they require to make the purchases that are best for them and/or providing customers with referrals to other community organizations, stores or healthcare providers if Sugar is not able to meet their needs,
- process sales in the POS system,
- stock the store and maintain information in the POS system,
- ensure that the store is clean and tidy at all times,
- fulfillment of customer orders for shipping and curb side pickup,
- perform other duties as assigned. These duties may include: store decoration, workshop instruction and/or special events.
- A passion for Sugar’s mission
- Computer literacy
- Excellent customer service
- Able to accurately work with money
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Able to work evenings and weekends
- Comfort with and acceptance of diverse sexualities
- Cultural competency with diverse communities
- Knowledge and understanding of queer and gender issues
- Commitment to a team environment
- A mind that is open to new concepts and ways of solving problems
Previous experience in sexuality education, health education, retail and/or restaurant service.
Sugar will provide Sex Educators with:
$16 an hour
Sick leave as accrued (additional sick leave per COVID policy)
Paid holidays (when regularly scheduled on one of the holidays that Sugar is closed)
Family leave as needed (combination of paid and unpaid)
Health insurance at 30 hours a week
A commitment to a systems oriented work place.
A work place that is respectful and supportive.
Sugar is a lesbian owned, multi-gender operated, for profit, mission driven sex toy store. By providing education and toys in a shame free, sex positive, fun environment we help people of all genders and orientations experience their own unique sexuality with shameless joy and passion.
A world in which healthy sexuality is respected and celebrated in all of its diversity.
Sugar believes that sex between consenting adults is sacred, powerful and fun and should be celebrated and honored. By providing quality education and toys in a sex positive, fun atmosphere, we will help foster healthy sexuality. In order to provide our customers with impeccable customer service we strive to create a work environment that is healthy and supportive of each and every member of the Sugar team. Sugar also works to exist in the environment in a way that is sustainable and responsible.
New Year’s Day